MORE ABOUT THIS COURSE...
return to homepage ]
1: COURSE FEATURES :
- Small class/group size. Maximum: 12 students per tutor.
Up to 20 students with tutor + tutor's assistant.
- Practical assessment on last day of course with pregnant
- Project and case study work (with 6-months to complete).
The case study work :
you need to have access to four (4) pregnant women for your case studies
(4 sessions with each pregnant woman). These pregnant women can be found
through your local GP, through a pregnancy yoga class, through Sligo
Hospital's antenatal clinic, and through baby & birth equipment (i.e.,
- Externally validated diploma with the London-based
Association of Physical and Natural Therapists ( APNT : www.APNT.org
) upon successful completion of course and assessments.
- Post-graduate Continuing Professional Development -
CPD credit upon successful completion of course and assessments :
100 CPD points with the Irish Massage Therapists Association ( IMTA
) and 30 CPD credits with EMBODY.
- International recognition of the course : in the USA,
Canada and Australia.
- Options of 'Follow-up Days' and on-going support and
training through www.WellMother.org website and student forum.
- Access to web-based support group.
- Entry onto web-based register of qualified pregnancy
massage therapists upon certification.
2: ENTRANCE REQUIREMENTS:
- Recognised qualification in massage or aromatherapy.
- 100 hours post qualifying experience, ideally one year.
3: COURSE HISTORY:
- This Pregnancy Massage Diploma Course was developed
by Suzanne Yates in 1998, with the support of Julie Barclay (Association
of Physical and Natural Therapists) and Gill Tree (Essentials for Health,
London). Julie continues to be involved in the course and supervises
the practical assessments and written course work. It is one of the
most in-depth courses of its kind worldwide, and one of the few that
requires a time of consolidation of skills through the post course work.
- Suzanne has taught in Canada, the USA, New Zealand,
Australia and France, where it is also recognised.
- Through the register, website and continuing education
days, Suzanne offers continuous support to therapists who have undertaken
4: ABOUT SUZANNE:
- Suzanne has been developing a holistic approach to maternity
- Motivated by her first regnancy, she began to deepen
her professional shiatsu and massage work to specialise in maternity
- She established 'Well Mother' in 1990, teaching shiatsu,
massage and exercise to women and their partners in Bristol, UK, to
help them connect with the wisdom of their body.
- Following the success and demand for her work, in 1998 Suzanne set
up courses for health professionals (i.e., midwives, shiatsu, massage
therapists, and aromatherapists).
- She now teaches internationally, regularly visiting North America,
Australasia and Europe.
- She has written numerous articles on the subject and has spoken at
many international conferences, ranging from midwifery conferences to
- Her first book, "Shiatsu for Midwives" was published by
Elsevier in 2003.
- Suzanne continues to work with mothers as well as professionals; this
approach guides her to deepen her knowledge and expand her skill base.
- She works with women trying to conceive as well as women going through
- Her passion lies in integrating eastern and western approaches to
offer a complete health care system for women at all stages of their
- She served on the National Health Service ( NHS ) Maternity Services
Liaison Committee from 1995-2000 and was involved with a practice audit
on shiatsu for post-term pregnancy at her local maternity unit in Bristol,
published in 2005.
- She continues to learn from her students, the women she works with,
and through on-going study and research.
- She especially values the learning from parenting her two children
Bram and Rosa, who were the original inspiration for her work.
5: QUOTES FROM PARTICIPANTS:
- "Suzanne's depth of knowledge made the class
enjoyable and fascinating and a complete and opening experience!"
- "I've learned so much from your expertise and
phenomenal knowledge I never thought possible... you have a refreshing
view and support in this field which made your teachings a joy."
- "...the joy I feel about being able to work with pregnant
women in a supportive, confident and holistic way"